And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Khalil Gibran

Saturday 13 August 2011

Reminiscing

Currently I'm doing data entry and administrative support for my husband's mom, both because I need a low physical labour job due to my health, and because she is swamped with clients and needs the help. Sometimes my boy comes with me and rattles about the house while we work. He even gets a mini-desk set up in her office where he uses crayons to do his own paperwork.

So after work yesterday we got to go outside and pick raspberries. In total I think he contributed about 10 berries to the basket that came inside, because the rest of them ended up in his tummy. Being out there picking raspberries with him reminded me of when I was kid. We had some family friends with a farm and all along one side of the barn were raspberry canes. Mom would drive out with me and my brother and we would help pick all these raspberries which got made into jam for the rest of the year. Much like my son, we ate as much or more than we picked. There is something so fantastic about berries just fresh off the plant.


In the spirit of these memories I made French toast this morning with, you guessed it, raspberries on top. My favorite meals as a kid were pancakes and French toast and grilled cheese. Mom would always be the last to eat as she stood there frying the food and sliding it onto the plate. My brother and I would eat as fast as she made them until we were both stuffed. Then finally Mom got to sit down and have her own meal. So now I'm the one standing by the stove feeding everyone and watching the kids eat as fast as I can make it. You know what? They're still my favorite meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment